Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rap Song - Enemies Anemones

So I've decided to write a rap song... I downloaded a bunch of freestyle beats last night and am seriously considering a couple of them. I need to work on my lyrics though... I came up with a great line when I was in the shower yesterday (Hey, it worked for Archimedes, didn't it?) but I haven't quite managed to construct a rap around it:

I ain't got no enemies
But I got anemones
In a fishbowl

Now I wasn't sure about the pronunciation of the word "anemone" because
a) I distinctly remember calling it an "an-eh-moan" when I was five or six years old.
b) Sure they say "ah-ne-money" in Finding Nemo but can you really trust a cartoon?
Tif confirmed that Finding Nemo is in fact a reliable source for the pronunciation of otherwise obscure marine-type words. We also had a spirited discussion (well, it lasted about 5 seconds, but it was productive) on the suitability of the word "tank" as compared to the word "bowl" as the last word in the line. Bowl was agreed upon.

Now all that remains is the rest of the song... I'm considering playing around with the line I already have... maybe give it more of a street feel:

I got no homies, only street enemies
I got no street anemones
In my sixteen dollar hotel room
Yeah Yeah... Uh Huh... Yeah Yeah...
Thas Riiight Daaawg
In my sixteen dollar hotel room

Or a Cowboy rap:

My enemies left me without saying goodbye
Anemones have left me; they took my good guitar
My fish bowl has left me; I'm a hungry, lonely, thirsty man
*insert mournful harmonica*

Maybe a boy band rap:

Baybeee, I got no enemies just your heart
Baybeee, I got anemones just like your heart
In my broken fish bowl just like my heart
Oh baybeee, I don't have the heart to break your heart
The way you broke my fishbowl...

OK, never mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to confirm. Anemone (ah-nem'-oh-knee) rhymes with enemy. Persephone is a bit of a stretch, but it could be done. Have you considered inserting the fish joke in your song that goes like this?

Two fish are in a tank
One looks at the other and says
"How the heck do you drive this thing!?"

And where'd you get your beats from?