Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What kind of US Embassy...

So my brother might actually be here in a week or so... scary. Scarier for me than for you, trust me. Yeah... I'm not saying any more.

So, it's no secret that the U.S. is hurting for high quality international students at their institutions of higher education. We know this because I know this. I know this because I don't personally know anyone who came to the United States to study AFTER 9/11, but I know tons of people who came BEFORE. Yes, much as I hate to harp on it, this has to do with 9/11. The number of international students in US universities has gone down significantlyas the smart (and not-so-smart-but-filthy-rich) Muslims (and those-who-like-to-think-they're-Muslims-but-there-are-some-who-would-beg-to-differ) now go to Australia, England and Canada.

Except me. And my brother. We are truly loyal Americans. *takes bite out of Big Mac while watching American Idol and downloading photographs of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen*

So, no smart or filthy rich brown people in American universities.
Ergo, most American universities = not happy (or secretly happy but just don't want to admit it).
Ergo, US Ambassador (or someone from the embassy, anyway) to Pakistan writes a long article in Pakistani newspaper (about 6 months ago now) encouraging Pakistanis to consider furthering their education in the U.S. and promising fair and efficient visa processing.
Ergo, my brother applies and gets into good ol' UD (Honestly, he had already applied at the time of the article).
Ergo, he applies for a US visa and goes to Islamabad for an interview.

So, visa granted (woohoo) but hang on a turban-wearing minute. The passport must go to "Washington" for some sort of "security check." Oh well, it's the middle of June. Plenty of time, right?

WRONG. Beginning of August = No passport back. Two weeks to departure (if at all). Much anxiety. Someone forgot to pay some silly fees (not our fault, by the way). Fees paid. Passport on way back. Relief, right?

WRONG. Some genius at the US Embassy in Islamabad FORGOT TO FINGERPRINT THE BROTHER WHEN HE WENT FOR HIS INTERVIEW. Seriously now, answer me this:

What kind of US Embassy forgets to fingerprint a 19 year old Pakistani male??


Gosh, if I were my brother, I'd be almost offended. Poor fellow looked so harmless, they didn't even think of fingerprinting him. Haha. So they called him back (and by back I mean a 2 hour flight each way) and did the deed. Passport back. Brother fingerprinted. Flight confirmed. All set to go, right?

WRONG. Pretty much anywhere we green passport holders land, we need a visa of some sort. And, since the brother will be spending a couple of hours at Frankfurt Airport, he needs a transit visa. So, on to the Germans. Let's hope their efficiency overcomes their xenophobia.

And you black folks think you have it rough... *sigh*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Xenophobic Germans? Really?

I guess being white and somewhat German-looking I'm probably not a leading authority on this one. But I think Germans tend to be pretty accepting. As far as I can tell, the guilt from WWII is enough to overcome most of the racism endemic to the undereducated. It also translates into free education for foreigners, but that's another story.

That said, the head of the conservative CSU did blast the Green party for trying to make Mohammad's birthday a state holiday. And the neo-Nazi party has reached a following of around 10% in the state I'm living in.

In the end, Germans have become too wussy to really be xenophobic - some girls don't even let their boyfriends pee standing up.

Jeremy