Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wednesday Wanderings A'beckoning - Sorry

I am a Wednesday Wanderer. This makes me happy. I am now a part of an ultra-cool*, intellectual* (or, intellActual, as Jammie put it :p), eclectic*, esoteric* assembly of talented* Pakistanis** who blog. Woohoo!! Of course this may not actually be completely true but I can read into my small successes what I want, right?

* At least I hope so (I can be a nice counter balance)
** As far as I know

And now, on to the Blogword!!

Wednesday Wanderers receive a blogword (on a day of the week which cannot be disclosed). A blogword is, in the words of the all-knowing Jammie, “simply a creative exercise in jumpstarting our minds; one single word that for each of us triggers something completely different.”

For me the benefits of this are threefold:
  • I will be prompted to post regularly (instead of for three month stretches followed by three month breaks… as long as the blogword keeps coming)
  • My posts might actually have some sort of direction… but maybe that’s too much to hope for.
  • I will be a part of an ultra-cool, intellectual, eclectic, esoteric assembly of talented Pakistanis who blog. Woohoo!!

Anyway, Blogword 1, or really, since I’m a little late to the party, Blogword 23 is: SORRY

I’m treating this like a psych examination… the first thing that came to mind when I heard/saw the word sorry:

Midnight Oil performing Beds are Burning at the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympic Games in the Summer of 2000

It was a good song… nay, a great song. In fact, I’m listening to it right now. I bet you didn’t know they were one of the first Australian bands to address social and political issues in their music. I tell you… the things I know… ANYWAY, SORRY.

So the band was dressed in black… black shirts, black pants. Their lead singer wore black too (crazy looking bald fellow, reminded me of Patrick Stewart) but the front of his shirt had a single word in white on it. And that word was, you guessed it, Sorry. I immediately wanted that shirt, and I still do to be quite honest. It’s quite possibly the deepest (as in depth of thought, not depth of sea) shirt I have ever seen. It was so meaningful on so many levels… well, at least two:

a) Sorry on my shirt means I’m sorry for everything – poverty, hunger, thirst, war, hatred, misunderstandings, accidents, Christina Aguilera, Dick Cheney. Everywhere I go, people know I’m sorry. I’m doing everything I can to help but it’s not enough. It’s still my responsibility. I’m sorry that I can’t do more for myself. For my family. My friends. My city. My country. My planet. My life.

b) Conversely, Sorry on my shirt means I’m sick of being blamed for everything. I’m only human. I do what I can. I have my faults. I’m tired of having to be what I’m not in order to please people. I’m tired of apologizing. I’m tired of saying I’m sorry. So my shirt can do it for me. And you will deal.


So I may be guilty of some form of grievous over-analysis here (it’s just a shirt dumbass). I’m almost certain Peter Garrett (lead singer of Midnight Oil – I had to look that up; I’m not thaaat great of a phenom) didn’t put this much thought into his clothing either.

But the shirt SPOKE to me (What did it say? Sorry. Hahahaha… ok). I think about that shirt a lot. I’ve been looking around for one too… eBay has not come through for me yet. If you see a black long sleeved t-shirt with the word sorry written across the front in white lowercase lettering, please buy it for me. I will reimburse you… or I will pay you up to US$10/- and make up the difference in prayers and good wishes.

On a completely different track now, that shirt would be a fantastic conversation starter… for example;

Shahyan: *strides into restaurant in “sorry shirt” that doesn’t do a great job of hiding his sculpted physique – takes a seat at the bar and orders a pineapple juice (I happen to like pineapple juice, alright?)*
Supermodel: *seated on adjacent stool… for now* Sorry? Your shirt says sorry. What are you sorry for?
Shahyan: Oh, the plight of the starving children in ___________ (insert developing nation here)
Supermodel: Oh, that’s so cute/kind/caring/sensitive. *moves closer*

You see how this works? Depth AND shallowness. All from the same word and shirt. Such a powerful word… such a powerful shirt.

6 comments:

Jaded said...

Thanks for increasing my knowledge base on the far reaching consequences and attitudes associated with being a wednesday wanderer!

Welcome! :)

KM said...

i would like to think i have something to do with you becoming a wanderer!
:)
but you've done well.and the good part is, that there are no rules to posting for wednesday wanderings.
you could've posted a picture of a dog who's pooped on the carpet.
and titled it "sorry".
everything goes!
welcome to the wednesday wanderings!

KM said...

btw i forgot to tell you, that i love your karachi rap!
and when you're back, id like to hear it, with yasir's Darbuka beats in the background.
:)

in2deep said...

welcome to wednesday wanderers:) i loved how you treated your first blogword and gave it the intro and the attention it deserves.

God Bless.

jammie said...

welcome to the
ultra cool
intelle(A)ctual
eclectic
esoteric
talented
wednesday wanderers.

thank you for not disclosing Our Day- if you had we might have had to kill you. since this is my first time of looking in at ourselves from FOREIGNER eyes, i shall take a moment to pat ourselves on the back.

The "All knowing" Jammie (where did you come up with this stuff?)

Anonymous said...

now that was hilarious... i am still laughing.