Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Prince William

So, today on my way to class, I tripped on the stairs outside my building and fell head first down a flight of six stairs (I really didn’t but if I hadn’t started out in this fashion, the entire post would cease to exist. So work with me). I was (thank God) uninjured, psychologically stable and willing to put the whole incident behind me until I realized that no one had videotaped the incident and hordes of polo players weren’t making their way towards me to make sure I was alright...

Yeah, so the future heir to the throne of England is inept enough to take a small tumble off a horse during a game of polo and it becomes and international incident. I have yet to see a major news source that has had the testicular fortitude to NOT carry the story and maybe use their valuable column (or virtual column) space for some real news that would be of interest to more than William’s worried daddy. Poor Willie-poo fell of a horsey and almost had a boo-boo. Thank God for the well-padded posterior that cushioned most of the impact.

To William's credit, he did what would be expected of a future Head of State and got right back on the horse. I can think of other Heads of State who would probably have lain on the ground for several minutes. Rumor has it certain Presidents do that after failing to chew pretzels properly, never mind falling off horses. But I digress.

There is news. And there is news-only-your-near-and-dear-would-care-to-know-and-often-not-even-them. Our news providers need to concentrate more on the former and less on the latter. Much less. Leave the poor celebrities alone. They’re just like everybody else, only famous.

No comments: