Monday, April 30, 2007

Italian, Cousins vs Nephews

You ever stare at a word for so long that it starts to seem not real? This is what happened to me just now staring at the latest blogword: Finally. I found myself looking at just the "fin" part wondering why a fish had a body part the name of which comes from the Italian word (that presumably came from Latin at some point; I am no linguist) for end… or so I think. I have done no research to back this up.

Italian is an enjoyable language… not that I would know. I don't speak it. I do an admirable accent though… I remember once during rehearsals last summer, Aly and I did the entire first act of The Producers in Italian accents. We were so bored…

These days I'm working on my mafia boss accent… due in part to a series of unfortunate events during a Managerial Economics case discussion last Fall that led to my being called a hitman. All I said was they should have him knocked off. I didn't mean anything by it, I swear. Anyway, I'm practicing the thin wheezy voice whenever possible… whenever possible the last two weeks has been right before logistics class, with poor Nat Jordan as my unwitting subject. "*thin wheeze* Nathaniel, Nathaniel… my bambinos, they no lik-a you." Only a former pastor like Nat could have the patience and fortitude to endure my pathetic mafia persona with an indulgent smile. *sigh*

Speaking of bambinos, and other family members, I was recently informed (by Shannon's mother, Mrs. K, no less) that nieces and nephews become cousins once they're removed from being the offspring of your siblings.

I know.

Crazy.

Don't believe me. Don't believe Mrs. K. Believe Wikipedia.

Apparently, the system of naming people uncles and aunts has a name:
The English Kinship Terminology System
"In this system, the child of one's aunt or uncle is one's first cousin. The child of one's first cousin is one's first cousin once removed."

And for years I thought I was niece… well no, nephew to so many aunts and uncles. Turns out, all this time, I've been their first cousin once removed or second cousin once removed and, occasionally, twice removed. Talk about a shift in world views…

Yesterday: Nephew
Today: Just a cousin and, in most cases, removed!!

Yet another layer of cherubic innocence stripped away. Or, as they say in the English Kinship Terminology System, removed.

*sigh*

P.S: Don't forget to examine the nifty "Table of Consanguinity" on the Wikipedia page. I'm surprised they don't teach you that in school.

P.P.S: This post, like so many others, has ended up having nothing to do with the blogword. It's not my fault. I go where the blogword takes me.

P.P.S: Removed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about basketball???? Did you see the game yesterday? Panathinaikos is the European champion! Of course, Panathinaikos is a team from Athens. Athens is in Greece.:)