Sunday, April 15, 2007

More Cricket, More DC

Cricket
So Ireland beat Pakistan. Fine. But Ireland also beat Bangladesh. And Bangladesh beat India. And since Ireland beat Bangladesh by a larger margin (open to debate I suppose but Ireland-Pakistan was thrilling and the leprechauns walked all over the Bengal “tigers”), it follows that Pakistan is a better team than Bangladesh. And, logically, Pakistan is therefore a better team than India. Just thought I’d throw that out there, backed up by solid evidence.

For the record, I hope New Zealand wins the World Cup. I first became a fan of theirs in 1990 when they toured Pakistan and has their behinds so soundly walloped, I felt sorry for them. So it was more pity than anything else. But since then, I’ve learned that they always produce committed, hard working players, even if talent levels are low and star power is non-existent. Their whole is always greater than the sum of their parts. Or something. Besides, they have rugby too.

Washington DC Stop Press
When Christophe and I were in DC, we saw John Kerry speak on the environment at a “Climate in Crisis” rally just outside the Capitol. It was a complete coincidence. We walked up just as he was being introduced. He did his usual 30 second speech. In 15 minutes. You know how he is. And we got free t-shirts. We had to get in line for them and reveal our email addresses and all but hey, they were free.

Christophe’s car died in rural Maryland when he was on his way to visit a friend.

He spent the next day and a half in a mechanic’s garage.
I spent the next day and a half on my aunt’s living room sofa.

He spent 400 dollars to learn his car wasn’t going anywhere.
I ate my aunt’s ice cream and watched my uncle’s TV.

He sat in a Greyhound bus for 4 hours to get back to DC.
I ate dinner and annoyed my niece.

We had to rent a car to return to Columbus.
I got to drive a 2007 Hyundai Sonata for 6 hours.
He slept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

look maybe your uni education didnt teach you this but I'll tell you for free : your aunts daughter = your cousin...NOT your niece!

Thats twice youve got it wrong. Wise up!