Thursday, January 01, 2009

Nostalgia Part Deux

I tend to find new years more depressing than uplifting. All they mean are that we're another 365 days closer to death, no? Not that there's anything wrong with death (as long as they have football wherever I'm going).

Today, I thought a lot about where I've been. And where I'm going. But more about where I've been. And here, for your listening and viewing pleasure, are some songs that were prevalent during some of the key moments in my pre-teenage, teenage and post-teenage years. (I think I had a post like this some time ago, hence the Part Deux... ah, here it is, if you care: Time in my Music)

Santa Maria by Oliver Onions - This is my perfect escape song. When it's on and I close my eyes, I'm four again, playing with my Matchbox cars and only worried that Sesame Street is still several hours away. Growing up is such a b**ch. Ha. (Sorry, no moving things in video - just an album cover with two swarthy Italian fellows, or so it would appear.)



All That She Wants by Ace of Base - The omnipresent tune of sunny days and breezy nights through middle school. Poor girl. She leads a lonely life. I wondered many times what it would be like to meet such a girl... one with a lonely life, who would hunt me like I'm a fox. Gosh, that's rather disturbing.



Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth by Primitive Radio Gods - This was kind of a "coming of age" song for me. I listened to it at a time when friends were leaving, when bonds were breaking, and when I realized that I might be my parents' son all my life, but I didn't have much longer left as a child. The whole "Ma Teresa joins the mob" part is classic. Have a listen.



Collide by Howie Day - Sometimes songs have a significance that only a couple of people can grasp. This is one such song. Funny how it's such a happy song. But such a sad song too. (Sorry no video again, just album cover.)



This isn't all of them obviously. I could blog for days about songs that have played a role in my life, but let's face it, I'm in the entertainment business, and nostalgia only does well for so long.

More later perhaps.

Have a happy new year (if you're into that sort of thing).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

New Year's isn't one year closer to death, you monstrous pessimist! We measure that using birthdays!

S. said...

omg i grew UP on ace of base!

Mariam Shah said...

OH MY GOD PHONEBOOTH!!

(Also, as you can tell, I am still too intimidated by the loan websites and your blog is the perfect respite.)

PS: This time it's asking me to type "acychick" Hahahah! I need a song about acychick! (aisee larkee)